STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

Plight of the Vatican

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
Vacation was meant to be peaceful and enjoyable. Where work and worries wash off the body to allow the mind to heal from the tribulations of adulthood. And for Dora Duda it had been just like that. This was her first vacation after graduating from the University of Warsaw with a journalism degree and her first after getting a job as a low level reporter for a regional offshoot of the Polish News Agency. Underpaid, overworked, and with zero luck in the world of love, the devout Catholic had chosen to visit the Vatican City to allow her soul to be refilling with the peace that came from her religion. That is, until the air was driven out of her lung by an immense pressure wave akin to the ones seen online of explosive disasters. Fortunately for her, the explosion did little else to her than force her to gulp for air once she was able to.

After regaining her composure and belongings that had been knocked off of her shoulder, the young journalist would remove the DSLR Canon camera that she had brought along with her to record the trip and began snapping pictures of the aftermath. Smoke billowing from over the rooftops and the rhythmic barking of automatic gunfire a few blocks away.

Time appeared to slow as she carefully documented the disaster unfold before her, even taking the effort to take a picture of helicopters flying overhead just as they unleashed a torrent of heated metal propelled through an explosive chemical reaction aimed at the rooftops of the Vatican.

The smell of burning wood and sulfur burned the young lady’s nose as she positioned herself behind an ancient pillar supporting a portion of the Vatican’s buildings. Her heart palpated rapidly beneath her clothes with such fierceness that she would later swear that she could see her clothes bouncing with every heartbeat.

Ender

• Wow
Reactions: Loa

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
Three Polish bodies moved through the throng of Italians as the deafening noise of electronic music drowned out everything around them, even coherent thoughts. The sounds of the ensuing battle above them did not even attempt to pierce the several feet of dirt, concrete, and brick that layer between the ceiling of the room and the roadways above them, much less the rapid electronic beating of the music that cause many of the bodies to move of their on accord. Party drugs and alcohol flowed freely through the bodies of the three Polish citizens as the looked at the bartender and ordered more shots of expensive vodka. They all leaned in close as they spoke.

“It was a good idea to take a break from university and come to Rome. Your girlfriend’s parents are so cool for letting us stay in their palazzo.” The young man that spoke made a terrible accent with the Italian word. They were interrupted by a young Italian woman who was dating the taller of the three men, clearly of Italian descent. Her accent as she spoke showed her Italian heritage. “Don’t ever do that again Mika. That accent is borderline racist. Now, my love. Let’s take this shot and go back to doing that thing we were doing earlier.” She winked at the taller man as she grabbed her shot glass. The other two made gagging noises as they each grabbed their glasses while the boyfriend sheepishly grinned ear to ear. They group had no idea that even this early in the morning there was a war raging above them.

“3.” Helicopters reigned gunfire above.

“2.” A phone call within the Vatican was placed.

“1.” A plan was enacted.

The earth shifted above throngs of people and the fire of the vodka was erased by the fire that followed the bricks cascading down. Soon the heavy beats of music were silenced and all that remained was silence as a man wearing suit of the blackest nights wielding a flashlight that cast shapes through the dust and smoke that would remind many of a large farming implement.

Ender

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
The smell of sulfur soon overpowered the stomach of the fledgling journalist as she found her meager breakfast rising through her stomach before finding itself on the rough cobblestones of the ancient city laying before her. She did not know if it was because of the anxiety from witnessing a battlefield for the first time in her career or if it was simply from the smell of gunfire and death that permeated the area. What she did know is that she needed to let her bosses know of the situation surrounding Vatican City. And with that she moved, messenger bag carried around her neck and resting on her hip.

Duda continued to snap pictures with the Canon DSLR camera until she was unable to get clear pictures anymore. That is, until she once more found the breath driven from her lungs and found herself making the acquaintance of the ground from the various shockwaves of the vehicle based IEDs that exploded around the above ground passage. Her camera, still intact miraculously, would snap additional pictures of the burning husk of a van and the crumble ruins of the ancient escape passage that had served the previous Pope’s faithfully. The grey-black smoke rising into the sky would strike an imposing visage in the pictures as she made her way away from the Vatican and towards her hotel in the middle of the city.

It wouldn’t take long for her to arrive at the hotel that boasted an impressive wifi capability. Once in the lobby, certainly a strange sight as she was covered in soot and dried blood from the various explosions and shrapnel, she would open her laptop and connect her comers via a cable that would allow her to transfer images to her computer. From there she would directly upload the files to the Polish News Agency email as well as a video of herself giving a detailed explanation as to what she had witnessed during her time near the Vatican.

Ender

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
Upon completing the upload to the Polish News Agency, the Duda would quickly return to her room via the stairs before grabbing the rest of her camera gear. Various lenses, spare batteries, and SD cards in their plastic cases were stowed in a rugged backpack that had been left inside the room for her morning jaunt, insuring the lenses had their hard plastic covers over them, before returning down the same stairs she had travelled up. As she entered the street and began the 1km jaunt back towards The Vatican, she insured her camera was on and the various settings were correct. As she travelled back towards the explosions she would stop short at the site of two men wearing suits and of an Asian ethnicity taking pictures. She would quickly suck into an alleyway before carefully sticking her camera around the corner to snap pictures of the two men and their armed friends standing at various corners around the field of battle. She would insure each picture would have weapons and faces in each picture before she would move to the opposite end of the alleyway and proceeding down the next street to the site of the explosion that knocked her down.

She would spend several minutes taking pictures of the burning vehicles and dead bodies that may have been there. She would also insure she took pictures of civilians helping the first responders before moving back to The Vatican to take more pictures of the battle taking place there. I’m all likelihood she would have encountered Italian military by this point and would have snapped several photos of the Italian armored unit and their vehicles as she moved alone. If stop she would offer her work badge that was stuffed in her bag that would show she was a reporter for the Polish News Agency.

Ender
Isa
Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
As the situation in Vatican City continued to unfold, a young and daring reporter from the Polish News Agency made her way towards the unfolding drama. Known for her commitment to journalistic integrity, she navigated the precarious streets, her path destined to intersect with the Thai group on Borgo Vittorio Street, just 65 meters from Via del Mascherino.

Her approach did not go unnoticed. Members of the Thai delegation, recognizing her bravery and dedication to the truth, couldn't help but admire her valor. She was a standout figure, her presence a bold statement in the midst of chaos.

Meanwhile, two NIA employees were intently documenting the ongoing conflict. However, their colleagues, vigilant and observant, spotted the reporter approaching. With no place for her to discreetly continue her journey, they acknowledged her presence with a friendly wave and struck a confident pose. It was a moment of light-hearted camaraderie in a tense situation, a nod to the shared importance of their respective missions.

ManBear
Isa
Ender

Isa

GA Member
Nov 13, 2023
The Polish reporter was largely allowed to move throughout Rome without much scrutiny. She did not seem like a threat to any of the authorities near the scenes and frankly they had a more important job right now than harassing some young woman who was unlikely to be a threat. This changed somewhat when she came closer to the border of the Holy See. The State of Emergency did not include a ban on being in the vicinity of the area, however soldiers had been instructed to halt any noncombatants for their own safety. As such when the young woman encountered the patrol, the soldiers also noticed her. Lowering his weapon, a Sergeant of the Italian Army approached the young woman and would address her in Italian. "Signora, the entire area surrounding the Vatican City is a combat zone. Please turn around for your own safety."

ManBear

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
The young woman had a brief understanding of Italian and could pick up a few words of the Italian Sergeant as he spoke, though most escaped her from the increased speed of speech most native speakers have with their native languages. Signora and Vatican City and Danger were the biggest words she had gotten from the conversation.

With a quizzical look, she would show the man the LCD screen of her camera where she would rapidly flip through the pictures captured that day until she finally showed him the ones taken just outside of the Vatican of men exchanging gunfire, smoke rising into the sky and finally the helicopters firing onto the rooftops of The Vatican.

In Polish she would say “I really needed to finish those Rosetta Stone classes”

In the little Italian she knew, she would say “Sorry, Italian not so good. The Vatican. Yea dangerous. Morning. To The Vatican.”

She would mimic the sound of explosions and mimic taking pictures with her camera.

Isa

Isa

GA Member
Nov 13, 2023
Understanding that the young woman did not speak Italian, and from the pictures assuming she was a foreign reporter the Sergeant grabbed his radio to call for his superior officer. Moments later a young brunette woman, likely not much older than the reporter approached both. "My apologies, miss. While all our officers speak English, this does not apply to all our NCOs just yet. I am Lieutenant Amalia Vespucci of the Royal Italian Army. My Sergeant wanted to inform you that the area surrounding Vatican City is a combat zone and as such highly dangerous for those without military grade armour and a rifle. He also asked you to go back the way you came. But based on those pictures and the credentials in the bag I assume even if you told me yes right now I will see you again in a few hours. To make sure that you do not leave this city in a bodybag, I'd like to offer you to join my unit. You will need to wear some of our Kevlar and listen to our instructions, but that way you get to report from the frontlines without risking a quick end to your career" The Lieutenant said before instructing the Sergeant to rejoin the unit.

ManBear

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
The dusty and bloodied journalist in a tank top and shorts that ended mid thigh trying to get back into the action must have been a strange sight for Italian military sergeant as she approached and offered her terrible version of the Italian language but she breathed a sigh of relief when the English speaking lieutenant approached her.

“Thank you lieutenant. You are mostly right in the assumption I would find a way back into the Vatican to witness the actions. I would gladly join your unit as an embedded journalist to document the battlefield here. Never would have expected this to happen in Rome since the troubles ended. I hope you don’t mind me asking questions while we move. I’ll do my best to not interrupt any important communications between you and your men.”

She would await her body armor, and possible helmet, before equipping the weapons of her profession, a camera and its lenses.

“Just to let you know I spotted several armed men taking pictures of the Vatican back at the Passetto and they posed for the camera.” She would show the pictures to the Italian lieutenant while she informed her of the unnamed intruders taking pictures. “They left in a vehicle not long after they posed.”

Isa

Isa

GA Member
Nov 13, 2023
"You may certainly ask, but very few of them can actually answer you. That being said, you may direct any questions to me and I will answer whatever I can disclose" Amalia replied with a smile. She pressed her radio and in Italian ordered a back-up vest and helmet to be provided. As they did not expect to be encountering Press they unfortunately only had the military camo variant. As they waited for the Corporal to come with the equipment and the Polish woman to put it over her clothes Amalia would provide her some more information. "You are lucky you encountered my unit. We have been ordered to the border with the Holy See and neutralize any American and Swiss Guard we encounter. We are not allowed to cross into the Holy See, however" She elaborated. When the Polish woman repaid the information with her own Amalia was clearly surprised by the sight of the Asian looking men so close to a detonation site. "Thank you for the information, I will relay it to Command and make sure that whoever they are they don't get their heads blown off"

Once the reporter was properly protected they would take her into the passenger area of an APC before continuing to the border until they encountered their first actual hostiles for the day.

ManBear

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
Duda would struggle equipping the vest, having never worn one before or seen on put on and would probably receive some sort of instruction from the female Italian lieutenant before the helmet and vest were successfully equipped correctly. She was certainly a strange sight for anyone watching. Bloodied and tattered clothes underneath an Italian body armor and Kevlar helmet getting into the back of an Italian APC. Some would probably wonder who she was if she hadn’t shown them her polish press badge. Once inside the APC she would carefully put her medium-length, dark hair into a ponytail while she would offer a greeting in Italian to the soldiers onboard the APC.

During the transit she would change the setting on the camera to coincide with the dimmer lighting within the APC as she would take photos of the Italian troops awaiting their first conflict since the end of the civil war that ended not to long ago. Like most soldiers she expected them to be serious but also have a side of goofiness that comes from not overtaxing the bodies regulatory systems for stress. If the Lieutenant was within audible range to converse she would ask a few questions.

“I do not have to release your name or picture to the general public if you don’t wish it but I would like to know your full name and your rank with the Italian Army for my records.”

“The bell tolling signifies the death of the Pope does it not?”

“Is it your belief that the Pope has fallen during the fighting and explosions?”

“How long have you served with the Italian Army and what unit are you apart of?”

“Are you actively expecting to get into an armed confrontation with the American and Swiss guard during your deployment to the boundary between Rome and the Holy See?”

Each answer would be recorded on the camera’s video function for later use.

Isa

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
Duda would carefully catalogue each of the Lieutenant's answers, and their corresponding question, within a small notepad retrieved from her bag, careful to pause and take pictures of the crew inside of the APC through her DSLR camera. The settings of which would be established to limit the use of the blinding flash that would inhibit the soldiers ability to see within the darkened confines of the armored vehicle. Once the crew neared the walls of Vatican City and the troops disembarked, the civilian journalist wearing military body armor would leave the protection of the APC after them, careful to take pictures of the soldiers performing their soldierly duties. She was inspired by the Italian sense of duty as they carefully set out to perform whatever was required for them to establish a perimeter around the walls that had protected the Vatican for centuries.

This reverie was soon broken, however, as a peculiar sight came marching down Via Della Conciliazione. Italian Army soldiers, Vatican soldiers wearing the livery of the American Guard(that had laid waste to the roofs earlier), and men in various states of civilian garb carrying various semi-automatic and automatic weapons. This unprecedented sight of the combined might of holy fury would be superseded by the hallucination of the Pope wearing his white cassock augmented by antique plate armor wearing a leg holster holding an embellished pistol, the make of which she could not readily identify, and a sword on the other. The sight of an armed and armored pope flanked by criminals, soldiers, and guardsman would surely bring back the visage of the holy wars a millennium ago. This would certainly cause a stir on the global stage of the Pope acting so brazenly, even if it is to defend his homeland from insurgents.

The sounds of the camera shutter whirred throughout the street, deafened by the sound of marching feet, clank of weapons, and rumbling of the engines of Italian APCs. Only Duda could hear the mechanical clicking of the shutter as pictures were rapidly taken at various stages of zoom, even a portrait of the Pope walking with his arms and armor was gotten in profile. She was certain this would bring the twitter fellows hounding the Pope much like they did the American Vice-President during the uprising there recently. At this current time the thought of the possibility of winning a Pulitzer was far from her mind. Her only thoughts at the time were to her survival and the inspiring leader leading an army into the Vatican.

Ender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II