STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

United States | 2004 State of The Union

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
THE CAPITOL BUILDING
The House Chamber
January 12, 2004
9:02 PM EST

U.S.-Capitol-at-night-SkyNoir-Photography-by-Bill-Dickinson-Getty-2048x1385-1-1024x693.jpg

Private​
It had now been over a year since the November, 2002 riots in Washington. The United States faced problems abroad head-on under the leadership of Al Gore, who would be delivering his last State of The Union Address. In 374 days, he would no longer be President of the United States and would once again only have the simple, and honorable, distinction of "American Citizen." Until then, the President still had oaths to uphold, promises to honor, and duties to fulfill. In his late 2002 State of The Union address, the President swore to work with Vice President Sinclair to introduce a new amendment to the United States Constitution to focus on campaign finance reform. The amendment would mitigate, or hopefully mend, the aching issue of wealthy individuals and corporations colluding to control American politics and to handpick governors, congressmen, senators, and even presidents. Years ago, Vice President Sinclair had snuck into the National Archives at one in the morning with President Gore to show him the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, to remind him that they both have a sacred duty to uphold the Constitution and to protect the sacred rights of all Americans.

Members of the President's cabinet were introduced into the House Chamber, on by one. The Vice President, who was nationally respected now as something just short of a savior of the republic, was introduced and received thunderous applause almost as strong as last year. Republicans and Democrats alike cheered for him as he entered the House Chamber and shook the hands of his colleagues as he made his way to the nexus of the chamber. The Vice President took his seat beside the Speaker of The House. Then, the Sergeant at Arms announced, "Mister Speaker, the President of the United States!"

All of those assembled, including Vice President Sinclair and the Speaker of The House, stood and clapped and cheered as another standing ovation was given to their Gore who was now in the homestretch of his presidency. The President made progress forward as he shook hands with dozens of congressmen and senators. President Gore eventually made it to the House Clerk's desk where he briefly turned around and handed two manila envelopes to the Vice President (who was President of The Senate) and House Speaker respectively - inside was a signed copy of the speech he was about to give. He shook both of their hands, exchanged a few brief words, and then turned around to the Congress. After a a minute or so of applause the crowd finally quieted down.

Speaker Williams, who had remained standing, gaveled once upon his desk and said, "Members of Congress, I have the high privilege and distinct honor of presenting to you the President of the United States!"
The entire crowd, once again, stood up and applauded for what was nearly two minutes. President nodded at a few of his friends in the crowd, but quickly did his best to try to get everyone to sit down. Nevertheless, as was tradition, the Congress clapped anyway for another half minute. Finally, the crowd sat down and the President was able to begin his speech which was, at times, interrupted by applause.

Public​
"Mister President, Mister Speaker, members of the Senate and the House of Representatives, my fellow Americans. Even with the troubles of the world and the rhythmic hum that is the echos of history, the United States continues to plot a path forward and choose her own destiny - with every fibre of my being, I can report to you today that the State of our Union is strong.

"Since my last State of The Union, the United States government has carefully looked back what has caused the unthinkable troubles that our country faced in 1997 and 2002. Those responsible have been arrested, in accordance with the law, and brought justice. While many of those men and women who betrayed our nation took plea deals and are now in prison, others chose to face of jury of their peers. As of yesterday, the American judicial system ended its last trials for the attack on the Capitol in 1997 and the Washington riots in 2002. Those people, who put profits and power before their allegiance to their country, have been brought to justice and are now imprisoned.

"When I was a young man, years ago, I was told to not focus on the 'why' when it comes to problem-solving, but simply to fix the problem and move on... That was some of the worst advice I had ever been given in my life. Knowing the 'why' is how we stop these kinds of things from happening again. Some have argued that the solution is to make our capital into a permanent fortress with armed soldiers, razor wire, and twenty-four hour patrols to make sure that we are always safe. But those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. We do not need a reactionary response to what has happened domestically in our country, we need an educated and informed response. The American People are not children and this is not our capital city; this city, its monuments and museums, and the building we are standing now belongs to them. We are entitled to nothing and we serve exclusively at their pleasure.

"The Federal Government, including the departments of Justice and Defense as well as the Executive Office of the President, have spent over a year looking for the 'why,' and we have found it. While there were two deliberate, and violent, attempts to destabilize our republic, there are annual attempts as well which are often successful. I am talking about something that every elected and appointed official in this room, including myself, know about... Wealthy individuals and corporations regularly spend billions of dollars to influence politicians or to outright get them elected. While Americans are limited in how much they can contribute to political campaigns, corporations and groups of ultra-wealthy people can form shell-corporations to donate millions and billions of dollars to individual campaigns as well as run their own advertisements to influence the American People. Under the guise of Freedom of Speech, a sacrosanct American liberty that was endowed to us by God, a few hundred individuals have significant influence over American domestic and foreign policy. The Founding Fathers of our country did not intend us to be indirectly governed by a merchant-class of people in the shadows, but by citizens elected by their peers to represent them, and them alone.

"The elections of American leaders in the White House, Congress, the State-houses, and even on the local level determine the fate of the United States and the Free World at large. If anyone is to govern and to make important decisions for the United States, they should only be elected and persuaded by the electorate. That is why, tonight, I am proposing that the United States Congress and the state governments of our country pass a twenty-eighth amendment to our Constitution. This amendment was written by the Vice President with the assistance of constitutional scholars and free thinkers. This amendment was written with the single purpose of putting authority back into the hands of the American People where it belongs. As President I cannot order that there be an amendment to our Constitution - in fact, I play no constitutional role in its submission or its passage. I have come here tonight to directly appeal to the House of Representatives and the Senate - I urge your consideration for this amendment. I also appeal to the state legislatures around the country for their consideration as well.

"Finally, I want to emphasize that the United States's dedication to our allies and friends across the world remains rock solid. We will also do everything in our power to guarantee that the nations of the New World can decide their own fate without interference from anywhere else. Right now we are in a time of significant economic advantage which we will use to secure American national defense and to improve the lives of everyday Americans.

"Thank you, and may God bless the United States of America."

Last edited:

Owen

Commonwealth of Australia
GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
In a show of support for U.S.-Australia relations, the Ambassador and former Prime Minister Kim Beazley would be in attendance in the gallery. He would be accompanied by his wife, the Consul-General in New York and former Premier of South Australia John Olsen, the Head of the Australian Defence Staff in Washington Air Vice Marshal Alan Clements, the Liaison Officer to the Chairman of the United States Joint Chiefs of Staff Commodore Allison Norris and Commander of the Australian Federal Police Americas Branch Commander Andrea Quinn. The Ambassador would be quite chatty and making conversation with many different Senators and Congressmen and women, relationships he has built from his time as both Ambassador and as Prime Minister. Particularly he would be talking to members of the Friends of Australia Congressional Caucus and the Secretary of State and other members of the State Department.

Ambassador Beazley picking up Consul-General John Olsen from New York's Grand Central Station ready to take the Amtrak to Washington, D.C.
Odinson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II