STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[VT]: Meeting With South Korea

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
C.F.O. Lee: "I do not really have much information on the R&D project status, other than that there are discussions that exist. That theoretical framework has been discussed however, I not a researcher, and I can't really tell you how much progress or lack thereof has been made. While funding is a crucial component, I think these are technologies that need time to fully develop and gather resources.

Once I return to Seoul, I am sure I can email your office with the progress reports or information available. Most of these programs are in foreign countries, should we, alongside our Government, invest in a new program, I am sure we can see how to best work with Vietnam. As you said, it would be beneficial to humanity as a whole to have this technology."

Minister Yoo: "Yes, there were some additional times on the agenda. Korea is hoping to further inter-Asian trade through a free-trade zone amongst Asian countries, one that would lower barriers to trade and allow us all to exchange goods freely and boost our trading relations. This would primarily target East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and West Asia. Alongside this, I hope Korea in the future can help play a pivotal role in Vietnam's developmental goals. I also believe, that Ms. Lee would like to discuss the Hyundai-Vietnam Agreement, to purchase the 88 trade vessels you hoped to purchase?"

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Ah yes, that. Thank you. So, I agree that we should work together on inter-Asian trade. We have recently entered talks with Thailand in order to reestablish ASEAN as an organization. However, ASEAN was a South East Asian organization. Perhaps to tackle the issues you mentioned a larger and looser organization could be created? One that could encompassed everything in Asia from Turkey to East Timor.

Though to take part, we will need those ships of course. Our current course of action in order to close this deal is to take on a loan so that we can pay for the ships. I believe the final price tag on them was $5,548,950,000.00 yes? According to this letter I got that is. While we had tremendous success with the payments over time method with other projects we are looking to do this in one lump sum.

However, speaking of that method, we are interested in expanding our port capabilities to better service these ships."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
Minister Yoo: "We could use ASEAN as an interlocutor to bring together Western and Eastern Asia through the ASEAN+3 forum to bring together countries such as Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and even Australia. We could also pursue a separate customs union or free trade area agreement through a treaty, which would be achieved more speedily through ASEAN as a foundation. Reestablishing ASEAN would be a positive step in bringing South East Asia but also all of Asia together. ASEAN has been a crucial table in which Asian countries have met to discuss important issues."

C.F.O Lee: "We are happy to follow a payment scheme suitable to your government. We look forward to supplying the Vietnamese Government with quality and advanced ships for use. With regards to the port capabilities, we would be happy to also assist in expansion of existing ports of Vietnam to be accommodating for a future role as a trade titan of Asia."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"We will have to bring up that suggestion to Thailand and Indonesia as I like the idea of an ASEAN+3 model. Keeping things under one umbrella would make things speedier. Also, bringing back ASEAN will help us compete with our European and American counterparts on the global stage. I think a key talking point besides trade, diplomacy, and the building of relations will have to 100% be the development of nations. It has been previously suggested that the 21st Century will be an Asian one, and we would use all at our disposal to ensure that this is in fact what happens."

"Very well, after this meeting is concluded could you work on and then mail me a report on how you believe we should upgrade our port capabilities and how you can do so. Before you leave I can provide you a list of our ports, and their capacities as well as layouts. Unlike the previous bidding contracts this one would go directly to you and by extension Korea."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
Minister Yoo: "It is our sincerest hopes to see the return of ASEAN. Alongside the ASEAN+ model, it is an important part of our continental presence as you indicated. Before the era of European colonization and pillage of our societies and communities, our continent was the center of trade, commerce, intellectual thought, and progress. From the great libraries of Baghdad to the blossoming trade centers in Indonesia, the Silk Road that connected all of Asia. It is our hopes that in this century, we will, together as a continent, bring about an era of collective growth and prosperity.

We concur with the fundamental premise of ASEAN being a renewed vigor for development and cooperation. From the northern parts of Korea to the in-land parts of Vietnam, the many islands of Indonesia, and many places in Asia, development and progress must be made in infrastructure and human capitol. With a $420 million dollar grant package to assist Thailand and the current cooperation between KOICA, Hyundai, and your Government on the $5 billion road renovation, bus transit system, and bus procurement, these are all indicators of the basis for building on these foundations."

C.F.O. Lee: "We will have a report emailed as soon as possible on expansion of port capabilities. I would appreciate the documents on the ports you want to be expanded and their current capacities."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"I am glad we are in agreement on the new found purpose for ASEAN. Doing so will help us catch up to Europe and America in terms of development. North Korea without a doubt requires development in order to be properly integrated into your nation fully. A even more extreme version of what has happened in Germany when West and East reunited. If we all work together we can all prosper.

However, there is something else. One thing that that must be discussed is whether or not we return to the way the organization was entirely, or look into possible future even closer cooperation. Regardless I think that we are in a position to where we can bring back ASEAN as it was and then discuss making changes internally as it suits out needs."

The Minister would ask one of his aides to go and start collecting the documents by making the necessary phone calls. "A package of documents will be ready for you before you leave the country."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"While, beyond Trade, I would not be necessarily an expert to comment on how ASEAN can re-work its internal organs. Non-intervention, consensus decision making, focusing on trade and maritime security, should always be the basis of the institution. To what capacity ASEAN would be able to expand and act as a wider Asian institution for regional peace and security, economic cooperation, and cultural celebration as you said, can be discussed internally as needed.

In its own capacity, Korea, I am certain, is eager to provide its support in economic, trade, political, and maritime security efforts of ASEAN. Although primarily intended for South East Asian countries, the ASEAN+3 is what we hope can bring Korea, Japan, and China further into cooperation and ensuring peace and socio-economic prosperity. What have Thailand and Indonesia said on their vision for ASEAN, or perhaps, possible reforms to be conducted internally."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Thailand and Indonesia have only spoken of returning ASEAN to what it once was. Though at this time I do not think we should include China. Not unless they go on a course that is actually beneficial to us. I do believe that their model is to become the producer of the world. Make other countries export raw materials to them at cheap prices and then they export their products. They wanted to dominate a proposed Asian century."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Well. Once a stable China returns to the table, it is my hopes that they will be a productive member of our community. A strong China means a stronger Asia, in economic terms specifically. Our principles have long held firm in the interaction of many different states. Through trade and commerce the benefits to peace and development will be plentiful. An Asian century will not be an Asian century if we push one another out from beneficial trade relations.

Though, as you indicated, we have reasons for cautious and ensuring that more established industrial and economic centers do not dominate or in other ways unfairly interact on trade and economic policies to the bloc."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Plainly, they more or less wish to return to the way things were before the Opium Wars. Being the center of the world. Regardless, only time will tell if this is a track they wish to continue down. We will need to keep a close eye on them. But, more then that we will need to make sure that powers outside of Asia do not try and hinder our progress."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Stronger economic coordination is where I hope we can see beneficial cooperation between our countries. With ASEAN+ the discourse on trade and cooperation within Asia and the Pacific can be made on grounds more favorable. Hopefully we can see some role in APEC (Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation) forming to advance trade and cooperation. I look forward to the ways we can bring about strong Asian Economic development."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"One thing is for certain however, it will be an hindrance working with only a handful of members. So far we have only secured in all likelihood the membership of Thailand. Thailand being a original founding member of the original ASEAN is very important. However, Indonesia has gone dark on us. If we are to successfully secure our objectives we must also somehow get other Southeast Asian nations into the organization."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Having Indonesia would be helpful as a major country, a growing economic power, and a country of deep cultural and political significance. However, we must make best of the circumstances made for us. I am regardless that hopefully our economic cooperation will entice further incorporation of regional powers. I know three is better than two, however, Korea is here to support in its capacity as a guest member in seeing ASEAN move forward."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"I was hoping we could use your recent success in bringing nations together. I am of course speaking of the unification of Korea. Where ever we get the chance to bring a member in, we must seize on that opportunity. One thing that will hamper us is the fact that we can only rely on air and sea for trade. As Cambodia and Laos stand between us and Thailand. Two nations that are historically within our sphere and could some day be in ASEAN. Until we have all former ASEAN members for ASEAN reborn I would like to suggest a strategy. We should seek to get as many ties outside of Asia to support our rise."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Well, in terms of political and foreign relations, the Foreign Ministry would probably be more informative in addressing your queries. However, within trade, it would be...perhaps possible to use ASEAN as a regional interlocutor. In essence, the ASEAN members would hand over trade relations to an ASEAN trade ministry which would on behalf of all members negotiate and regulate trade. Although, it is merely a theory within the economic field, the proposal comes with numerous ramifications and issues. For example the diversity of the ASEAN economies and the ASEAN+ economies. As well as different target destination or orientation of trade exports of member states. However, using ASEAN as an interlocutor to address regional disputes, negotiate trade agreements with foreign nations, etc...would give rise and importance to the organization."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Hmm, I agree. Using ASEAN in such a way would give it importance, and by extension each our nations new found importance on the global stage. I believe that through ASEAN we would be able to play to the strengths of our different economies, while mitigating what ever weaknesses we have. This is something we will need to pursue. I believe that the possible benefits outweigh any possible negatives.

This ASEAN trade ministry could contain members or ministers of each of our respective ministries. Along with the resurrection of the ASEAN Free Trade Area this would make ASEAN a powerful contender on the international market. Not to mention, we would be able to direct resources where they need to go for development..."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"I do agree. I was hoping to know the update on when the trade agreement can be passed. Our National Assembly has just approved the agreement, which for now, would represent a major break through and act as a stepping stone to build up on the ASEAN+ Trade Zone. While, for an ASEAN Trade Ministry, it would more formally be a Trade Commission made up of respectively appointed officials acting on behest of the member states. As you said, an ASEAN Free Trade Area would be a serious contender and power in global trade controlling access to the South China Sea and home to the globes largest economic powers."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"The trade agreement will actually be voted on this week at the national assembly. I do apologize as the National Assembly is at times slow. Plus, they have been preoccupied with some other things. Specifically the matter on whether or not we should reestablish a three party system. But, now with the meeting in Jeju upon us they seem in agreement on that and will be voting on the trade agreement in two days."

"Indeed, that is why this shall no doubt be brought up at the ASEAN+ meeting. A Trade Commission would be a powerful tool in ensuring the Asian Century we seek to confirm. This power would only grow as we develop our nations with one another's help. Money from trade flowing in from every corner of the world. We will of course need to guard our sea lanes, and secure access through two key areas to ensure a major success. Firstly, access by ASEAN through the Suez canal... secondly, access through the Panama canal. We must negotiate low crossing costs so that when this is all established we have little to no barriers for trade. Finally, for guarding sea lanes, we in Vietnam have started the process of building up our coastguard. It is our hope that we will soon be able to purchase American made Hamilton Class Cutters which can do long distance patrols."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"There is no need to apologize. We completely understand. We just hope that whenever the time arises, the assembly can convene to ratify the agreement. I hope that the Jeju Summit bears fruit that are appropriate and representative of the Vietnamese people and their wishes, not foreign ones.

As for the ASEAN+ Summit, we are following the details close through our trade representatives in the summit and the Minister and I have a post-meeting lunch scheduled to get up to date. While protecting sea lanes is important, and can be an area of joint security cooperation, Korea has long held the principle of freedom of navigation and do not believe that any country should have a unilateral right to close their waterways to shipping of other countries.

We have had extensive legal conflicts with specific entities over these issues and it is the prime position of Korea to not enter in any agreement regarding fees for transit. While we are accommodating to the concerns of transiting countries and recognize their role in maintaining their territorial safety and marine environment, to which we have continued to offer our support. We also recognize the nuances and need for certain countries to temporarily restrict access, but, restrictions that are universal not selective.

It would be the position of Korea, that ASEAN reaffirm the principles of the right for transit and our trade I am sure that Korea can also deploy a long-term warship to Vietnam to assist in patrolling the wider South China Sea and assist ASEAN in this regard."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"I see, and that is a very noble stance to take in regards to the transit of Sea Lanes. Though, do you not think it would be simpler to have an agreement in place with say Panama or Egypt that gives us free access based on the agreement to terms? While we could get into a long legal battle with them, it would sacrifice time we can use for trade and development. Which, while I am sure we can win the dawn of the new millennium is upon us... which actually brings me to something we simply have to discuss before time runs out."

"The Year 2000 problem or Y2K Bug. Vietnam wont be as harshly affected as what computer systems we have are limited in number, and older to the point in which we can simply turn back the clock to avoid them... but for more technologically developed nations like Korea and Thailand wont there be massive issues should you not act to fix the bug prior? So far I have heard of no nations moving to fix the bug issues ahead of time."

Jay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jvasa